Coconut Beef Curry Stew Recipe
- 1 1/2lbs beef chuck cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1white onion medium, thinly sliced
- 4garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1tbsp ginger peeled, finely chopped or paste
- 3tbsp curry powder
- 2bay leaves
- 2 5-ozcans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2lbs Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1Fresno chiles sliced thin or jalapeno
- Lime wedges
- Season beef all over with salt. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches (you want the beef browned, not steamed), cook beef until browned on all sides, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour off all but a tablespoon of oil from pot. Reduce heat to medium and add the butter, onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring often and scraping up browned bits, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Stir in bay leaves, coconut milk, and 1 cup water.
- Return beef to pot. Season with salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until beef is just fork tender, 30–35 minutes.
- Add potatoes, bring to a simmer again, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beef and potatoes are tender, 25–35 minutes. Thin with water if needed; season with salt to taste. Serve over rice, topped with cilantro, sliced chile, and lime wedges.