Beef Liver and Onions Recipe
- 2 cups milk or buttermilk (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ lb Rumba Meats Liver, sliced into strips
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- To reduce the strong taste of the meat place liver in a bowl, or a Ziploc bag, and cover with milk, or buttermilk, and refrigerate. Let it soak up to 2 hours. Then remove the liver from liquid and pat dry. This step is optional but highly recommended If you are not used to the taste of the liver.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, stirring constantly to avoid burning, about 1 - 2 minutes. Add the liver strips, working in batches if necessary, and fry until browned on both sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove liver from skillet with a slotted spoon. Set aside on a plate or bowl.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the butter in the same skillet. Add onions and sauté until translucent and fragrant. Add the liver back to the skillet and add the wine. Let the wine reduce for 2 - 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve hot with rice, mashed potatoes or veggies.
Recipe Notes -
To add more flavor season the liver with cumin and/or paprika. You can also add cayenne pepper if you like the heat.
If desired, use the pan drippings to make a gravy. Just add 1- 2 tablespoons of flour for each to the drippings. Cook the flour briefly for 1 -2 minutes, stirring constantly, then add 1 cup of beef stock for each tablespoons of flour. Cook and stir until thickened. Serve over liver and onions.
Source – Mommy’s Home Cooking