Cheese Rolls Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp pepper sauce (more if desired)
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- dash of dry parsley flakes
- egg whites for brushing edges egg wash 1 egg + 1 tbsp water
- Mix 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp curry powder into two cups all-purpose flour.
- Add 1 stick of salted butter and 1/2 cup vegetable shortening.
- With a pastry cutter, cut shortening and butter into flour until small pieces are formed throughout the dough. Add about 1/4 cup ice cold water to the dough and knead slightly to form a ball.
- This can be done quickly in a food processor by adding dry ingredients, pulsing, adding shortening and butter, pulsing until pea sized form, then adding water until ball forms.
- Place ball on plastic wrap, flatten and shape into a square. Refrigerate for a couple hours or overnight. Remove dough from fridge an hour before use so it can thaw.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shred cheese and mix in mustard, pepper sauce, garlic powder, black pepper, and parsley flakes, toss and set aside.
- Cut dough into 16 squares for thinner cheese rolls or 9 squares for thicker cheese rolls. Flatten one square and roll into a rectangular shape.
- Brush edges of dough with egg whites. Fill a tablespoon or two on the lower half, roll into the center then add more cheese. Seal edges.
- Place all cheese rolls on a baking sheet and brush the tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until rolls are golden brown.
*Yield : 9-16 rolls
If you are nervous about the cheese oozing out of the rolls, you can pierce the tops with a fork to allow the steam to escape while baking.