Make Your Next Meal Extra Special Part 1 (How To – Basic Table Setting)
If you’re getting things ready for an everyday dinner or a weekend breakfast, you might want to know how to set a table properly. For casual events, one needs just a basic table setting: a placemat, cutlery (fork, knife, and spoon), a dinner plate, a water glass, and a napkin.
Basic Table Setting Instructions
- Lay the placemat on the table.
- Put the dinner plate in the middle of the placemat.
- Lay the napkin to the left of the plate.
- Place the fork on the napkin.
- To the right of the plate, place the knife closest to the plate, blade pointing in. Place the spoon to the right of the knife. (Note: The bottoms of the utensils and the plate should all be level.)
- Place the water glass slightly above the plate, in between the plate and the utensils, about where 1 p.m. would be on a clock face.
Basic Table Setting Etiquette Tips
If you prefer, it is acceptable to set the napkin on top of the plate in a basic table setting, though some think this can create a more formal feeling.
Now that you know the basic table setting rules, brush up on your table etiquette.