Plantain Lasagna Recipe
3-4 Large ripe plantains
1 medium onion chopped
1 red/ green bell pepper chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin spice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano thyme
½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tomatoes chopped or 1 cup tomato sauce
1 pound ground beef/chicken or minced meat
1 16 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
1/4 cup sliced olives
2 -3 green onion chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons water
2 cup shredded cheese
1 packet sazon or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
2-3 Tablespoon parsley chopped
2-3 large eggs
Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain; peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling it back. Slice the plantains horizontally into 4-5 pieces depending on plantains. You may either fry or bake the plantains. Frying was used in this recipe.Frying Method
Heat up a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to ½ inch- medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
Fry the plantain in batches, turning once, until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will make the plantains to be soggy and absorb excess oil)
Use a slotted spoon, transfer the fried plantains and drain on paper towels.Baking method
Spray a baking sheet and place plantains on them in a single layer; spray lightly over the plantains using the canola oil spray and bake at 400 degrees F, turning over slices, after 8 minutes for about 12- 20 minutes or till plantains turn slightly brown.
Next add about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet followed by onions, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, oregano, sweat for about a minute.
Then add bell pepper, tomato sauce, bring to a simmer, add ground meat/mined meat, beans and cook for about 7-10 minutes, while stirring frequently to prevent burning burn add about broth or water as needed.
Season with salt, chicken bouillon or sazon.
Finally add olives, green onions and parsley, adjust for seasoning. Remove and set asideAssembling
- Spray a deep 8x8 pan with cooking spray or rub with butter/oil.
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with the fried/baked plantain. Make sure there is no space between the plantains.
- Add enough of the beef/minced meat mixture to make a layer, just like you would prepare lasagna. Alternate rows of plantains and meat until both are used up. Add cheese in between if desired
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and pour over the Pastelon. Making sure to cover the entire thing.
- Add cheese if desired, or only use cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until all the egg has cooked through and the cheese are bubbly.
- Let it cool then serve warm
- Recipe Notes
- I usually go with moderately ripe plantains. They don’t fall apart or soak up tons of oil. You can deep-fry, pan fry or bake them.
- You can use – ground beef, chicken or beans or combine protein and beans.
- Add cayenne pepper if you want some heat in it.
- With or without cheese, this plantain lasagna still taste good.
Source –Immaculate Bites