Tuna Melt Recipe
- 9 ounces canned tuna drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 1/4 small ( 2 tablespoons) red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 medium (about 2 inches long) cucumber, peeled, if desired, and finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 baguette, cut crosswise into 2 portions, or 4 slices bread, such as sourdough or multigrain
- 4 slices tomato (optional)
- 2 slices cheese of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Using a fork, flake the tuna into a bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, celery, onion, cucumber, and lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix again.
- Cut the baguettes in half lengthwise and divide the tuna mixture between the bottom pieces. Place 2 slices tomato on each sandwich, if desired. Top with a cheese slice and the baguette lids, pressing down gently to settle the filling.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sandwich is warmed through and the cheese begins to melt and turn ooey gooey. Alternatively, you can warm the sandwich in a griddle or sandwich maker.
Serve the sandwiches immediately, preferably with napkins galore.
Source – Leite’s Culinaria