Oxtail Stew Recipe
- 1 can butter beans
- 4 pounds oxtails trimmed
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes or 1 scotch bonnet pepper seeds included
- 4 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth just enough to slightly cover the oxtail
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pimento seeds (optional)
- In a large pot, add oxtails, onions, scallions, garlic, thyme, red pepper, paprika, bay leaf, soy sauce, pimento seeds, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the oxtail from marinade. In a large pot heat up enough oil to brown the oxtail. When the oil is hot not burning, place the oxtail in the pot and brown on all sides. Remove the brown oxtail and place in slow cooker. Add enough broth to cover the oxtail. Also toss in the marinade, tomatoes, and carrots. Set on high and cook for 7-8 hours. Until the meat becomes tender.
- Every hour check on the oxtail and keep oxtails slightly covered with liquid.
- At 6 hours, add the beans, tomato paste, and more of beef broth and/or water, if needed. Then simmer uncovered 1 hour, skimming fat off top and stirring occasionally. In the last 1/2 hour of cook time, season with 1- 2 tablespoons salt and fresh ground black pepper. Serve with rice and peas.
- *Don't forget to remove bay leaves.
Source – Cooking Maniac